A UK visa grants you Permission to visit the United Kingdom and the Northern Ireland.

The United Kingdom offers a wide range of Visa categories that vary from different reasons of travel. With each visa it requires a different set of documentation to support the visa grant request.

The visa categories ranges from different reasons such as,

Family Visas

  • Having family members in the UK – Where you can visit the UK to visit your family members / friends for a holiday
  • Coming to the UK to get Married to a UK National.
  • Permits to join EU or EEA family members in the UK
  • Apply to settle with Family members etc.

Study Visas

  • Short term Study Visas of Less than 6 Months
  • General student visas (Tier 4)
  • Child student Visa (Tier 4) 

Transit Visa

  • Visitor in Transit
  • Direct Airside Transit

 Visit Visa 

  • Visit the UK to visit family Members / friends
  • Visit UK on a business trip/conferences/exhibitions
  • Visit UK to do a research
  • Visit the UK for a private Medical Treatment
  • Come to the UK to get married
  • Permitted Paid Engagements
  • Parent of a Tier 4 child visa
  • Standard Visitor Visa

EU / EEA Citizens 

  • EU Settlement schemes
  • Live in the UK if you are an EU, EEA or a Swiss Citizen

 Work in the UK  

  1. Long Term Work Visa
  • General work visa (Tier 2)
  • Intra Company Transfer (Tier 2)
  • Minister of Religion (Tier 2)
  • Sports Person Visa (Tier 2)
  1. Short Term Work Visas

Documents you must provide 

  • When you apply you’ll need to provide a current passport or other valid travel identification.
  • You need a blank page in your passport for your visa. Your passport should be valid for the whole of your stay in the UK.
  • You’ll also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

You might need to provide additional documents if you’re visiting the UK:

  • For private medical treatment
  • To apply as an organ donor
  • As an academic on sabbatical and want to stay for 12 months
  • As a prospective entrepreneur
  • To take the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or sit the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
  • In Transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands 

Other information you’ll need

You’ll need to provide the following:

  • The dates you’re planning to travel to the UK
  • Details of where you’ll be staying during your visit
  • How much you think your trip will cost
  • Hour current home address and how long you’ve lived there
  • Your parents’ names and dates of birth
  • How much you earn in a year

You might also need:

  • Details of your travel history for the past 10 years (as shown in your passport)
  • Your employer’s address and telephone number
  • Your partner’s name, date of birth, and passport number
  • The name and address of anyone paying for your trip
  • The name, address and passport number of any family members you have in the UK
  • Details of any criminal, civil or immigration offences you have committed

This guidance explains the documents you may need to provide in support of your application to visit the UK.

All documents must be originals and not photocopies.

Submission of these documents does not guarantee that your application will be successful and you should bear this in mind when making any bookings.

If you submit a document that is not in English or Welsh, it must be accompanied by a full translation that can be independently verified by the Home Office. Each translated document must contain:

  • Confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document
  • The date of the translation
  • The translator’s full name and signature
  • The translator’s contact details 

1. Documents you must provide – all visitors

  • Valid travel document (national passport or other document that allows the holder to travel internationally).

2. Other documents you may want to provide – all visitors

This section provides guidance on the types of documents that you may want to provide to help us consider your application against the Immigration Rules.

  • Previous travel documents/passports, which show previous travel.
  • Financial documents showing that you have sufficient funds available. These must clearly show that you have access to the funds, such as:
  • Bank statements
  • Building society book
  • Proof of earnings such as a letter from employer confirming employment details (start date of employment, salary, role, company contact details)
  • Where a third party (who is either in the UK or who will be legally in the UK at the time of your visit) is providing financial support to you e.g. a business, a friend or a relative, documents to show they have sufficient resources to support you in addition to themselves and any dependant family should be provided
  • Confirmation of legal residence, if you are not a national of the country in which you are applying or your right to reside there is not included in your passport
  • Details of employment or studies where you have stated in your application that you are either employed or in full-time studies. This could include:
  • A letter from your employer on company headed paper, detailing your role, salary and length of employment
  • A letter from your education provider, on headed paper, confirming your enrolment and leave of absence
  • If self employed: business registration documents confirming the business owner’s name and the date the business started trading
  • Business activities – where you are coming to the UK in order to undertake activities relating to your occupation/employment outside the UK you should submit documents showing what you will be doing in the UK, including any letters from inviting organisations. For example:
  • Any business activities, e.g. letter from your employer outlining the reason for your visit, who you will be meeting and details of any payment/expenses
  • For performances and entertainment visitors, whether you work in this area as a professional or amateur , and what and where you will be performing
  • Under 18s – we strongly recommend you submit the following information otherwise it may delay consideration of your application
  • A Birth Certificate or legal document (such as adoption papers) showing the relationship between you and your parent or guardian
  • If travelling unaccompanied or with someone other than your parent or guardian you should provide:
  • A signed letter from your parent(s) confirming details of anyone accompanying you, and details of care and accommodation arranged in the UK
  • A copy of your parent(s) or legal guardian’s biographical page of their passport, which includes their signature and passport number if your parent(s) do not have a passport then you must provide another official document which bears their signature

Additional documents for specific types of visitors

This section sets out additional types of documents that you must submit if you are visiting for one of the following reasons.

Academics coming to undertake research (12 month visa)

  • A letter from your current employer on official headed paper, detailing the period of your sabbatical, exchange or outlining the research to be undertaken
  • A letter from UK host organisation confirming the arrangements for your research or exchange
  • If you are from a country listed inParagraph 39 of part 1 of the Immigration Rules, you must provide a valid medical certificate issued by a medical practitioner listed in Appendix T of the Immigration Rules.

·         Family accompanying academics coming to undertake research (12 month visa)

 Private Medical Treatment (6 and 11 month visa)

You must provide a letter from your doctor or consultant in the UK, which includes:

  • Details of the condition requiring treatment or consultation
  • Estimated cost and duration of treatment
  • Details of where treatment or consultation will take place 

If you are applying for an 11 month visa and are from a country listed in Paragraph 39 of part 1 of the Immigration Rules, you must provide a valid medical certificate issued by a medical practitioner listed in Appendix T of the Immigration Rules.

  • Where you are applying for an extension of stay as a visitor for private medical treatment you must provide the following documents.
  • A letter from a registered medical practitioner at a private practice or NHS hospital, who holds an NHS consultant post or who appears in the Specialist Register of the General Medical Council, detailing the medical condition requiring further treatment documents to show that you have met the costs of any treatment already receive

Organ donors

In addition, organ donors must provide a letter confirming:

  • That you genuinely intend on donating an organ to a named individual who you have a genetic or personal relationship with, and that you are either a confirmed match to the identified recipient or are undergoing further tests to establish this
  • Details of when and where the planned transplant or tests will take place

The letter must be from one of the following:

  • The lead nurse or co-ordinator of an NHS Trust’s living donor kidney transplant team
  • A registered medical practitioner who holds an NHS consultant post, or who appears in the specialist register of the General Medical Council

Organ donors also need a document showing that the intended recipient is legally resident in the UK, such as a copy of their British passport or residence permit. If they are applying for a visa at the same time, you must provide their details (name, nationality, date of birth).

Prospective Entrepreneur

Letter of support from:

One or more registered venture capitalist firms regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority

Work-related training

  • Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board or Objective Structured Clinical Examination Tests – a letter from the General Medical Council & Nursing and Midwifery Council confirming arrangements for the test
  • Unpaid clinical attachments or dental observer posts –confirmation of your offer to take up this post and that you have not previously undertaken this activity in the UK

Performers at one or more permit-free festivals

  • Letter of invitation from the organisers of each event, setting out dates required and details of any payments you will receive for taking part.

Approved Destination Scheme (ADS)

Permitted Paid Engagements

Invitation letter from a relevant UK-based organisation, such as:

  • A higher Education institution
  • An organisation in the creative arts or entertainment industries
  • A sports organisation

You must also provide evidence of professional status in your home country, depending on the engagement you are doing.


  • Publications in a particular field of expertise
  • Evidence of previous lectures given in that field
  • A letter from your employer confirming where you work and your area of expertise

Entertainers/artists/sports people:

  • Publicity material for performances, screenings concerts, talks, readings and exhibitions
  • Evidence of awards
  • Media coverage and reviews
  • Proof of recent performances

Air pilot examiners:

  • A document to show membership of your country of residence’s national aviation authority, e.g. the Federal Aviation Authority in the USA
  • A practicing certificate or certificate of good standing or equivalent document

Visitor (Marriage/Civil Partnership)

  • If you have been married or in a civil partnership before, you must provide documents to show that you are free to marry or form a civil partnership.
  • Evidence that arrangements have been/are being made to marry or form a civil partnership or give notice of your intention to this during your visit, such as a letter from a registry office.

Transit Visitor

Evidence that your onward journey from the UK has been booked/confirmed, and that it is either within 24 hours of arrival in the UK for Direct Airside Transit or 48 hours of arrival in the UK for Visitor in Transit such as:

  • Travel booking confirmation (can be email or copy of tickets)
  • Travel agent confirmation

Evidence that you are assured entry into the onward country that you are travelling to, such as:

  • Residence permit
  • ‘Green card’
  • Valid visa

If you are not a national or resident of the country of destination, you may wish to provide evidence of reason for travel, such as:

  • Holiday booking confirmation

Documents you should not send unless specifically requested

This section provides guidance on the types of documents that are not required to consider your application.

  • If you are applying as a family/group you do not need to provide multiple copies of the same documents
  • Bank statements or letters issued more than 1 year before the date of application
  • Credit card statements
  • Driving licence
  • Photographs (passport photographs required in section 1)
  • Notarial certificates
  • Business cards
  • Hotel bookings
  • Flight bookings
  • Photocopies of bank cards
  • Certificates relating to leisure activities
  • Evidence of car ownership
  • Travel insurance
  • Sponsor’s utility bills
  • Sponsor’s council tax bills
  • Educational certificates (unless specifically listed in section 3)


 Kindly follow the link to find out more about visa fees for your visa type https://www.gov.uk/visa-fees







Get in touch.

We’d love to hear from you. Let's see how we can assist you