If you are planning to visit France for studies purposes then you are required to follow visa procedure for either short stay or long stay study program depending on your nationality, your situation and the length of your stay.

For all UAE residents and nationals who wish to apply for any of the study programs need to contact Campus France organization prior to submitting an application for visa procedure. You may find below some of the most popular study programs.

1.   France Au Pair Visa

Young foreigners aged 18-30 years, who are interested to learn French language and culture, can apply for this visa type. The main requirements that you need to provide are:

  • Passport
  • Contract with the Host family
  • Clear criminal record
  • High school certificate
  • Health insurance
  • Motivation letter
  • French course enrolment in France        

2. The VLS-T student visa allows you to pursue studies in France for 1 year. You don’t need to validate this visa upon arrival but it can’t be renewed. Although it will give you the right to travel freely in countries in Schengen Area. Please note that with this visa type you are not allowed to take any professional activity in France.

3. The VLS-TS student visa allows you to pursue studies in France for a period of four months to one year. It must be validated upon your arrival in France. If you would like to continue your studies after it expires, you may apply for a multi-annual residence permit (carte de séjour pluriannuelle).
Please note the below:

  • During the first three months after your arrival in France, you are authorised to travel freely outside of France and in the entire world with your visa, even if you have not validated it.
  • After these three months, however, if you have not validated your visa and you travel outside of France, you will be required to apply for a new visa to return to France.

 a.) The long-stay internship visa, or internship VLS-TS, allows you to do an internship in France for more than four months. When it expires, you can request a temporary internship residency permit.

To compile your file, you must provide the following documents:

 b.) The researcher-talent passport allows holders of a Master's-level degree to stay in France to conduct research or teach at a university level in the framework of a hosting agreement. It is reserved for doctoral students, researchers and professors-researchers.

Can I stay in France upon my study program?

You are allowed to stay in France if you wish to search for a job for a first professional experience or to set up your own company. This residence permit is valid for 1 year and it is not renewable.

The temporary "job seeker/new business creator" residence permit is available:

  1. to students who have resided in France with a student residence permit (such as a VLS-TS or a residence permit mentioning "student") and who have obtained one of the following French higher education diplomas :
    - a Licence Professionelle (vocational degree),
    - a master's degree or equivalent (such as an engineering degree, a degree from an institute of political studies (IEP), the higher diploma in accounting and management, a veterinary diploma, etc...)
    - a Specialised Master's degree,
    - a Master of Sciences (MSc) accredited by the Conférence des Grandes Ecoles ;
  2. to researchers who have resided in France

Some students do not require a “job seeker/new business creator” residence card. This refers to :

  • European students(citizens of European Union member states, the European Economic Area or Switzerland). They do not need a residence permit to work in France. 
  • Algerian students. They are subject to other regulations
  • Students who are citizens of countries that have concluded migration flow agreements with France. They can continue to apply for a temporary residence permit (APS). This includes the following countries: Gabon, Benin, Tunisia, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Burkina Faso, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, India.

There is also a possibility to have working holiday visa that allows you to remain in France for one year as a tourist while letting you work. It is granted for a maximum of 12 months and is not renewable, except for Canada, which has a specific agreement. Only citizens, aged 18 to 30 years (35 years for Canada), of the countries with which France has a bilateral agreement qualify for a working holiday visa. These countries are: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, South Korea, Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Russia, Taiwan, Uruguay.

In general, to obtain a working holiday visa, you must respect the following conditions:

  • be 18 to 30 years of age (35 for Canada);
  • never have already partaken of the working holiday programme;
  • not be accompanied by a dependent child;
  • have a return ticket;
  • have sufficient financial resources for the start of your stay. The amount of these resources is specified in the agreements.

Student Visa Fees

The French student visa fees are as following:

  • Visa pricing for countries with CEF procedure: €50
  • Visa pricing for other countries: €99

However exempt from paying the fee are the following:

  • A family member of a French National
  • A family member of an EU / EEA or Swiss citizen
  • A child adopted by a French citizen